CameraForensics is an established small tech company with an international reach. We write software that makes a difference; helping law enforcement and government agencies to safeguard vulnerable people online while collaborating with like-minded partners all over the world. We are a very technically focused team, and combine deep technical expertise with an understanding of how to apply technology in a way that really helps.
We are looking for a Research and Development Engineer to join our technical team to help develop our expertise and capabilities in areas such as image forensics, data processing, and analysis. You will be helping us and our customers to stay abreast of the latest technical developments in scientific literature and the open source community, and will work to turn promising research into usable, and impactful, products. The outputs of your work will have a demonstrable effect on our community’s ability to protect vulnerable people, particularly online.
You will be working closely with our expert team, and as your expertise grows, so will your role within the company. We are based in Bristol, UK, although we currently work flexibly – with a mix of office and home-based working. Please be aware that the role will require occasional travel to customer sites in the UK and beyond.
The role is offered as full time (37.5 hours per week), but we recognise that these hours do not suit everyone. Many of our team work shorter hours, and we welcome discussion on this during the recruitment process.
Due to the nature of our work you will need to successfully pass the UK Security Clearance process.
We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Research and Development Engineer will be responsible for delivering elements of technical research projects, across the full lifecycle, with a focus on new and emerging approaches and technologies. The role will involve working across a number of projects simultaneously; some directly for external customers, and some to support future product development.
Example tasks could include:
- Finding, reading and critiquing research papers and implementing software to replicate, test, and validate research.
- Developing novel techniques and turning theory into practice; helping to bring through promising technologies into an operational environment.
- Collating datasets to test an algorithm at very-large-scale.
- Communicating findings to stakeholders within CameraForensics and in our user and customer communities. This might be via written reports andpresentations, or through informal chats.
You will work closely under the direction of our Research and Development Lead, with input and support from our wider technical team and the Commercial Director.
Qualifications and Skills
- A Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline, or at least 2 years’ relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of at least one programming language or environment (along the lines of Python, Jupyter, R, C++, Matlab, etc).
- The candidate should be happy to identify which software tools are required for a task, and to quickly pick-up the use of new ones.
- You should be comfortable opening a terminal window or IDE and wrangling datasets, running experiments, and testing hypotheses.
- Demonstrable ability to understand and critique technical papers in your field of expertise.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
What you will benefit from
- Working to solve problems and build tools that will have a positive impact on society.
- Opportunity to develop your technical skills in research, data science, data engineering, and software development.
- Work on a diverse set of problems within the company to develop a broad range of skills
- Influence decision-making on new areas of research
- Opportunities for training courses
- Help with honing your skillset to your desired career path
Salary and Benefits
£25k to £50k pro-rata per annum dependent on experience
- 10% pension contribution to a scheme of your choice
- 30 days holiday (pro-rata)
- Flexible working
- Life insurance, income protection, and critical illness cover
We are based in a vibrant incubator space in the middle of Bristol, with regular social events organised for the resident companies. Cake is every Wednesday, and the drinks trolley every Friday. The office is a short walk from Bristol city centre – including St Nick’s market and it’s amazing array of lunch options from falafel to BBQ.
We look forward to hearing from you soon! The CameraForensics team